Tuesday, April 19, 2011

HOLY TOMATO PLANTMAN!

Another beautiful week has come and gone for us here in Origanna Woods.
We had one night of chill, but a fire quickly warmed us up.
 Every day for us is consumed by chores and trying to complete little projects. Of which there are many. Get the garden going, get the roof done, finish the drywall, run the wiring, finish the bathroom, the deck, on and on and on.......
Pick one and start there. So we did.   We did manage to finish the steps outside of the bathroom this week, which makes the duty of bathroom cleaning a bit easier. The first step out the door is no longer a giant leap, especially nice when carrying a full bucket of ka-ka out for a bleaching.  Another small job was de-cluttering the bathroom area. It had become the most convenient room to store the tools, drywall, dirty clothes and whatever else found its way there.Not that theirs anything wrong with have a circular saw  or 15 sheets of drywall near the toilet, but it does get annoying because it just makes you think of everything that needs to be finished.
Now that we are into the warmer, yet rainy weather, we've opened up the back rooms we built and roofed last year. These two unfinished rooms are perfect work/storage spaces. This also makes another project, building shelves for the organization of everything.
Next up will be to rework the former bathroom/bedroom/junk room into a real bathroom space.
I do believe that 5 bedrooms is as good as 6.
I mean REALLY??
It's not like we are planning on adopting a 3rd world family or anything. Besides, what would the neighbors think???
Once we've removed the former bed platform it gives us more than enough room to put in a walk in shower.
In keeping with our water conservation plans, the bathroom floor will have a trench style drain which will lead to our gray water reservoir  system. More water saved to use on our garden.
While on the subject of gardening, I've been chatting with one of Origanna neighbors that lives on Sunflower Lane, just up the opposite road from us. You know, 'OVER YONDER"
After hearing her talk of how much work she had to do get plants finished, I volunteered to help if I could. She called a couple days ago asking if the offer to assist was still on the table, I said of course.
What I didn't know was that they had a working farm. Or that I was going to be paid for my time.  Nice.
Pam and Randel have an internet business of selling heirloom herbs and vegetables. I ended up helping  replant several hundred tomato plants. As well as several varieties of peppers. The sweet ones  and some that are rated as the hottest variety available.
Beautiful Basil, that I would have planted all day because it smelled so great!
 I even transplanted several tobacco plants.
After 8 hours of replanting, and playing in the dirt,  my back was letting me know I was finished for the day, but I also said yes when  asked if I could come back the next day. After all, I did really enjoy it!
It is obviously the  busiest time of the year for this small family owned farm. It's a beautiful spot of ground and no chemicals are used on the products. There are  a few sheep,several porch sittin' country dogs, and a few  cats running around. It's just right!
If you are looking for the best quality of veggies and also wanting to help out a local family PLEASE go to this site and order away. He DOES ship your order to you.
http://www.abundantacres.net/

This couple works hard and I would love to see them do more business. So please check into it for me. And for yourselves. I promise you will find things here you won't find elsewhere.



In other news.........

Our rooster is still getting plenty of chicken nookie. I don't want to tell him that we are gonna be slaughtering  his chicken bitches this week. I'm sure he'll figure it out . This may be the first one on the butcher block.........
Mark has a fan club that follows him every time he goes outside.
This hen  was sneaky, and followed him inside at dusk,.She perched in this spot for what she thought  was the night, but found herself in the coop real fast!
For the butchering, Mark and I have a 6 foot ceramic sink counter that we are mounting outside so that we have a clean space to take on this chore.  Sounds much better than chicken blood spray on the walls inside, looking all CSI and such.  Like something out of  a  Patricia Cornwell story.   I can't wait to see how Rebel reacts to this. Better yet, to see  how I handle it.
You do realize that I'm going to terrorize Mark with some part of these chickens, don't you?
 He may wish he had a turbo boost on that wheelchair by the time I'm finished.
It's not like we are  gonna be the first persons  ever  to kill a chicken,but............... ewwwwwwwww.
The worst part is gonna be the leftovers. What to do with them?
I'm thinking designer chicken foot belt buckles or ear rings. But we will see.  :)
If I leave the tendons and mount it on a rod, then Mark could have a hand made hillbilly grabber for when he drops the remote control to the television . Or, when he has an itch he just can't reach.  Maybe some gold beak bookends. I do believe the possibilities are endless!
We won't tell him about it.
He does love a good surprise.

I've recently discovered that our dog Rebel may suffer from OCD of some sort.

He has a REAL problem with sticks that float in water. It doesn't matter is this stick is small and in a mud puddle or of this stick is 6 foot long and in the middle of our neighbors pond. They do NOT belong there, and it is his duty to remove them. At all cost.
I had walked to our neighbors  pond to check on the ducks that I had seen swimming there in the morning. Sitting peacefully on the bank watching them swim and do their beautiful duck stuff, it was nice. I saw Rebel  nosing around the edge pulling out branches that I suppose he just didn't care for. He spotted the tip of a branch floating about 5 feet out and decided it was worth the swim to investigate the situation. After a good five minutes of struggling to bring the branch/log ashore, he was obviously having a hard go at it, and running out of steam.  With the branch in tow and not  considering  the idea of releasing it, his little legs were giving out and his head went under, he bounced up quick and had a look of what I would call panic in his eyes. I knew he was not going to surrender to some stupid  stick and that I would have to reach in a grab him and his new best toy. What I didn't know was that my second step in the water was going to send me nipple deep in cold water. Stupid dog. Stupid stick.      Wet me.
Covered in pond scum and only cussing slightly, I was rewarded with an abundance of puppy kisses. Wet and stinky as they were, it was worth it.
As you can see in the picture above he is not your average dog.  I have to take my pillows off the bed every morning and leave him his. I know better than to make the bed before it's time, otherwise I would be making it several times a day. When he feels me stirring, he gives a big yawn and stares at me letting me know I can move my ass out of his way.  
Don't expect him to be out of bed before 10 A.M. either, that is, unless you jingle the work keys or the heavenly  sound of  delicious kibble being poured in his dish reaches his ears.
 Time to be productive and check off another project.

That's it from me for now.
May your worries be few and your blessings be many....

No comments:

Post a Comment